Home > Biographies > John Cochran

Old Chester, PA: Biographical Sketches

John Cochran


John Cochran

(A biographical sketch taken from One Hundred Years, The Delaware County National Bank Chester, PA 1814-1914)

Years in parentheses are years of service as a Director of The Bank of Delaware County and/or The Delaware County National Bank

John Cochran (1826-28-30-42), son of Alexander and Sarah (Morrison) Cochran, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, March 12, 1792. He was a child of seven years when his parents came to America. He, as his father before him, was a farmer, and during the Napoleonic wars, when breadstuffs rose enormously in value, he made money rapidly. With William Eves and John J. Thurlow, he was a contractor for building the P., W. & B. Railroad through Delaware county. He purchased several contiguous farms in the Borough of Chester, and much of the improved parts of the First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth wards are located on the John Cochran plantation.

The noted Cochran Race Course was entirely within his property. The judges' stand stood on the east side of Edgmont avenue, nearly opposite the Deshong mansion, and the track, a mile in length, was a good one with the exception of one place which had a slight rise, and to make it easy for the horses the ground had been filled near the Southern Post road, almost opposite the Sunnyside and Lincoln mills. After a rain that part became heavy. Here the "Chester Spring Races" and the "Chester Fall Races" were held for a number of years, each continuing two days.

John Cochran was a director of the Delaware County Mutual Safety Insurance Company, serving from September 7, 1840, to January 4, 1844. He died October 13, 1843, aged 51 years. 
 

[Obituary]

 

 

 

If you have any information and or pictures that you would like to contribute about individuals in Chester, please forward it to john@oldchesterpa.com


2002 John A. Bullock III.

GDPub2.JPG (7902 bytes)

This page last updated 10/17/05