Home > Biographies > Osborn Levis

Old Chester, PA: Biographical Sketches

Osborn Levis


Osborn Levis

(A biographical sketch taken from One Hundred Years, The Delaware County National Bank Chester, PA 1814-1914)

Years in parentheses are years of service as a Director of The Bank of Delaware County and/or The Delaware County National Bank

Osborn Levis (1834-42, 45-47, 49-51 59-61), son of Samuel Levis, was born in Upper Darby in 1786. A descendant of Samuel Levis, who settled in that township in 1684, he inherited considerable estate from his father, the fourth Samuel in the line of descent. Osborn Levis was a paper manufacturer. He operated for twenty years the Lamb Paper Mills, on Darby creek, now converted into a cotton factory and known as the Clifton Mills, from which the Borough of Clifton takes its name. From 1825 to 1838, he operated the paper mills on Darby creek, in Springfield, afterward purchased by Moses Hay - from whom Hayville takes its name - and converted it into a woolen factory, known as the Keystone Spinning Mills.

He and his son, Samuel G. Levis, owned and operated the Glenwood Paper Mills, on Darby creek, until the death of Osborn, and twenty years later Samuel erected a cotton factory on the site of the old building, but retained the name of the plant. Osborn Levis was a Director of the Poor in 1826; was Treasurer of Delaware county, 1834-38; in 1835 was an organizer and director of the Delaware County Mutual Insurance Company, and in 1837, he was defeated for County Auditor on what Y. S. Walter termed "The Van Buren Shinplaster Ticket."

In 1840, he was Justice of the Peace for Upper Darby. He died in that township, March 12, 1862, aged 76 years.

 

[Obituary]

 

 

 

If you have any information and or pictures that you would like to contribute about individuals in Chester, please forward it to john@oldchesterpa.com


2002 John A. Bullock III.

GDPub2.JPG (7902 bytes)

This page last updated 10/17/05