Home > Businesses > Recreation > Penn Recreation Center
Grand Opening, c. September 1939
the September 1939 issure of The Delaware County Advocate, founded by
John Spencer in 1868 as a weekly newspaper. Published as a monthly picture
magazine since August, 1938, by John Spencer, Inc. 8th & Sproul Sts.,
courtesy of Frank DeMaio
CONGRATULATIONS were in order as speaker after speaker approached
the mike. Lou Buchy, left, district ABC secretary, was Master of
Ceremonies. Bob Vandever, right, one of the three owners of the new Penn
Recreation Center, was wished all kinds of success. Mayor Peoples, an avid
sports fan, tossed the first ball.
AMATEURS and professionals all had a chance to tryout the shining new alleys before a large gallery of spectators. Women were almost as numerous as men among first night bowlers. Between games audience and players repaired to the soda fountain.
(Below) STAR KEGLER. Bill Shaul, considered one of the best bowling teachers in the East, tossed a few balls on the new alleys, and was slated to be present for the first three days following to give free lessons to all comers.
A. Bullock III.
Graphic Details Publications
This page last updated 10/18/05