|Home > Churches > Protestant > Baptist|
Marcus Hook Baptist Church
from Marcus Hook Baptist Church.
Many exciting things have been happening at Marcus Hook Baptist and Pastor Jim Carroll invites you to
become a part of it all.
"Come grow with us" as we seek to fulfill the great commission of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Photos courtesy of Marcus Hook Baptist Church
|The Hope Korean Baptist Church meets Sundays at 10:50 a.m. and Wednesdays at 8:00 p.m. This ministry began meeting in our building about two years ago in a Marcus Hook Baptist Church Sunday School room. The group numbers about 40+. The pastor of the church is Rev. James Hyan-Kyi Kim. Marcus Hook Baptist Church is delighted to have the Koreans with us. They worship in their heart language and we enjoy a fine relationship with Hope Korean Baptist Church.|
|Former Pastors | Church History | Membership Directory|
Marcus Hook Baptist Church has been in existence for over 200 years and has broadcast its regular Sunday morning 11:00 a.m. service on WVCH since 1948.
|Former Pastors:||Eliphaz Dazey, May 3, 1789 -
October 7, 1796
John Walker, September 5, 1818 - November 10, 1821
Joseph Walker, August 7, 1824 - March 11, 1843
D. L. McGear, August 9, 1845 - June 13, 1846
Theophilus Jones, May 20, 1848 - 1850
Isaac Gray, May 1, 1853 - January 4, 1855
B. Slaght, January 1, 1857 -
Miller Jones, 1858-1861
Edmund Wetherby Dickinson, D. D., 1862 - December 8, 1875
Henry Benjamin Harper, May 6, 1876 - April 17, 1878
C. W. W. Bishop, September 23, 1879 - September 18, 1904
A. D. Nichols, January 1905 - August 1905
William H. VanToor, November 3, 1905 - June 7, 1914
Chares R. Engel, August 12, 1914 - April 29, 1917
William E. Needham, July 1, 1917 - May 4, 1919
George Boddis, S. T. D., October 1, 1919 - December 7, 1928
G. Harold Hill, February 17, 1929 - November 14, 1948
John P. Ludlam, June 15, 1952 - December 31, 1959
Kenneth E. Hall, July 1, 1960 - August 29, 1966
Kenneth W. Travilla, September 1, 1966 - January 26, 1969
Randy H. Carroll, Jr., August 24, 1969 - November 9, 1975
Wendell J. Beal, May 9, 1976 - October 26, 1986
J. Aloysius Hopson, III, D.D., August 2, 1987 - through May 1989 - ?
David L. Tripler, Sept 20, 1997 - Aug 18, 2000
James R. Carroll, Sept 2, 2001 - currently pastor
Rev. Chad E. Gullion, Associate Pastor (June 27, 2003 - Present)
|Church History||"An Historical
Sketch of the Marcus Hook Baptist Church"
from the church's 195th Anniversary Bulletin, Sunday, May 6, 1984
and the 200th Anniversary "Celebration for Christ", May 3, 1989
The Marcus Hook Baptist Church is the third oldest church of the denomination in Delaware County. Their first edifice was situated in Lower Chichester Township (between Marcus Hook and Trainer) in full view of the Delaware River, in what was then known as Cedar Grove, in the year 1788. The names of the constituents were Eliphaz Dazey, Richard Riley, Richard Moore, Thomas Perkins, George Grice, John Walker, George White, William Perkins, John Grice, Mary Riley, Jemima Dazey, Sarah Connell, Christiana Dick, Hannah Moore, Elishaba Parsons, Mary Perkins and Elizabeth Walker. Rev. Dazey was the first Pastor. (The church burial grounds were sold to the Viscose Corporation in 1925, and the bodies were re-interred in the Lawn Croft Cemetery).
Later a larger edifice on Market Street in Marcus Hook was built in 1853. A house and ground were purchased at the Southwest corner of Eighth and Market Streets in Marcus Hook, across from the Marcus Hook Elementary School, and for many years this house was used as the church parsonage. However, due to the constantly changing business conditions of the Borough, this location became undesirable for church purposes, and the church considered several other sites. Finally, the church purchased the Marshall Property at the Southeast corner of Post Road and Green Streets. Later it became apparent that this was not a proper location for a church. The Trustees were, therefore, authorized to secure a more suitable site and put the Post Road property up for sale.
The Roberts' Tract in Linwood was then purchased, and a new parsonage was erected in 1926 on Market Street. The cornerstone of the new church building, which was built at the corner of Market and Ormond Streets in Linwood, was laid on Sunday afternoon, October 9, 1927. The Pastor, the Rev. Dr. George Boddis, presided. The church grew here under the ministry of the Rev. G. Harold Hill, who succeeded Dr. Boddis in 1929 and continued to serve the church until 1948. Many new members were added, the outreach of the church broadened into mission, prison, and nursing home services, street meetings, and a radio ministry; and many young people entered Bible schools for training and some went to foreign and home missions fields. Due to the increased attendance, an addition to the church building was built 1929, and since then a number of alterations and additions have been made. A large one-story addition to the Sunday School, which was known as Building "C", was built adjacent to the rear of the Church in 1953. The church parsonage was torn down in 1970, and a new church building was erected. The first services in the new church were held September 19, 1971, with Dedication Services on October 10, 1971. The Rev. Randy Carroll, Jr., Pastor, presided. The original church building, now known as Building "B", was renovated in 1983 and converted to Sunday School rooms.
In its early history, although small in number, the Church counted among its members men of influence and character. Among these may be mentioned Judge Richard Riley, John P. Crozer, John D. White, and James M. Tage. The Hon. O. B. Dickinson, Judge of the U. S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, was a son of Edmund Wetherby Dickinson, D.D., the Church's ninth Pastor. Continuing through the years the Lord has sent the Church men of God who have preached His Word, been evangelistic in outreach in the surrounding areas and active in a missionary program to reach the world with the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."
In the summer of 1987 the church extended a call to its present Pastor, Dr. J. Aloysius Hopson, III. Pastor Hopson is a Philadelphia native and accepted the call after resigning as a Vice President of Maranatha Baptist Bible College and Seminary and a full-time ministry in evangelistic work. Pastor Hopson brought to the church fresh ideas, administrative skills and a pulpit ministry of Biblical Exposition. Under his leadership, several new organizations have been formed and he has led the congregation in the direction of completing the present building program. Dr. Hopson suggested to the Anniversary Committee the idea of bringing back as many of its former Pastors and Preacher Boys as possible. Together they can all have a part in the "Celebration For Christ."
Thanks to Mrs. Joan Santino, Secretary at Marcus Hook Baptist Church, for providing the list of pastors and the historical sketches of the church.
Thanks also to Margaret (Pugh) Roland, Rolpug@aol.com for putting me in touch with Mrs. Santino.
May 2004 Update courtesy of Mrs. Joan Santino, Marcus Hook Baptist Church Secretary:
The Hope Korean Baptist Church meets Sundays at 10:50 a.m. and Wednesdays at 8:00 p.m. This ministry began meeting in our building about two years ago in a Marcus Hook Baptist Church Sunday School room. The group numbers about 40+. The pastor of the church is Rev. James Hyan-Kyi Kim. Marcus Hook Baptist Church is delighted to have the Koreans with us. They worship in their heart language and we enjoy a fine relationship with Hope Korean Baptist Church.
April 2002 Update courtesy of Mrs. Joan Santino, Marcus Hook Baptist Church Secretary:
MHBC burned the mortgage papers on their $1 million Family Center. We are debt free having paid off the mortgage two years and two months ahead of time. The church realized savings of nearly $72,000. Pastor Jim Carroll who has only been here for six months was quick to say, "I have been privileged to reap in mercy where others have sown in righteousness."
If you have any information and or pictures that you would like to contribute about the history of this church, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 John A. Bullock III.
This page last updated 02/24/07