> Civic/Social & Religious
Organizations > Kiwanis Club
Old Chester, PA: Kiwanis
The Kiwanis Club of Chester
currently meets at the
Some former Presidents (1969)
Left to right:
John Boyle, Charles Long, Richard Duckworth, James Hart,
Donald Salem, Rocco DeProphis, George Cramer, Robert Vaughan
505 Ave of the States
Wednesdays, 12:15 P.M.
Officers | Club History | Former Members
If you have any information
and or pictures that you would like to contribute about the history of this club, please
forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org
||Elwood J. Turner - First
Charles D. Hummer, (president 1949)
Bob Vaughan (1968)
Jim Ley, (president 2000-2001)
The Rev. Karla Robinson, (Vice President 2000-2001)
brief history is courtesy of Bob Vaughan:
A Brief History of the
Kiwanis Club of Chester 1919-1969
On March 5, 1919 the club received its charter from Kiwanis International. Elwood J.
Turner was the first president.
In 1921 the club created the Kiwanis Service
Metal award given annually to an outstanding person who had rendered the largest free
service to the community. Hugh Ward 1932, Charles Larkin 1943, George White 1957, Rev. Dave Macqueen 1962, Dr Clarence R.
Moll 1965 and Ray Diament 1968 were Kiwanians that were honored to date.
A basketball tournament among high schools of Delaware County was started in 1923 and
became one of the outstanding athletic events in the State. Profits from this tournament
were a part of the foundation for the Kiwanis Objectives Fund which supports the Kiwanis
Eye and Tonsil Clinic, monthly parties at the Neuro-Psychiatric Ward (Valley Forge
Hospital), sending children to summer camp, providing scholarships at PMC and a Christmas
party for adult cerebral palsy victims.
In 1928 the club started it's K. B. F. ( Kiwanis Builds Forever) awards given to
outstanding graduates from Chester and St James high Schools.
In 1938 we added Police Day. A meeting was set aside to pay tribute to these men who
risked their lives to protect our lives and property.
After World War II, a Veterans Information and Advisory Service was established to
assist the veterans in their return to civilian life and make their rehabilitation easier.
In 1947, the Key Club of Chester High School was formed and since 1948 the club has
sponsored and financed one of the Report Luncheons of the Community Fund.
In 1949 our club erected "Kiwanis Hall" at Camp Sunshine. Built several cabins
and enlarged the dining hall. Each year the club sends children for a 3 week
summer session camping experience.
In 1960 our club built a swimming pool at the Delaware County Cerebral Palsy unit at 21st
and Hyatt Sts. This represented an outlay of nearly $10,000 in hired labor and
In 1961, Bob Vaughan and John Kriebel organized the first of our High School Stage
Band contests. A competition among 10 bands that is held annually at Sun Center.
In 1962 we sponsored our first Pancake Day and in 1964 we adopted the Wheel Chair program
and have 14 wheel chairs on loan free to persons who need them.
Some members have served in higher offices of Kiwanis International. Elwood
Turner served as Governor of the Pa District in 1920 and Clarence Conner was Governor in
1937. Those who have served as Lieutenant Governors are Clarence Conner, Paul
Palmer, Lister Armstead, Newlin Palmer, and Robert Vaughan. Elwood
Turner was elected to the high office of Vice-President of Kiwanis International in 1924.
The Kiwanis Club of Chester has and will continue to follow the Kiwanis' Motto,
Vaughan, Past President 1968
Picnic at Brinton Lake - Photos from the July 1942 Delaware County
Advocate courtesy of Harvey S. Martin
© 2000, 2001, 2003, 2006 John A. Bullock III.
This page last updated 03/06/06