Home > Schools > Public Schools > Chester High School
Chester High School
Located in the block formed by 8th & 9th, Parker & Fulton Streets.
School Colors: Orange & Black
Original Chester High stone currently mounted in the Chester Water Authority Parking Lot
(Click here for a picture of the original Chester High School, later the Starr School.)
Be sure to visit and sign in on our Chester High Reunions pages!
Principals | Faculty | Staff | Arts | Academics | Sports | Classes | School History
complete list of Chester High School faculty is found on many of the class
1938 Chester High Faculty Picture
Chester schools homemaking supervisor, Mrs. Alice Ewing, 1949
superintendent of grounds and building for 36 years (c. 1901-1937) [Biography]
Jeanette D. Purnell, nurse - 4
Louise Williams Wood, secretary to the Principal - 5
|Music, Drama, etc.||CHS Dance Band
1954 Band; Photo courtesy of Joan Guzek
1954 Flag Twirlers; Photo courtesy of Joan Guzek
1954 Majorettes; Photo courtesy of Joan Guzek
|Academics & Organizations:||National
Dutch Boyer--Basketball - 1
Hal Brewster--Baseball - 1
Jack Crawford--AD - 1
Bob Forwood--Basketball - 1, 6
Pard Larkin (c. 1924, 1925)
Dick Madison--Basketball and Football [Biographical Sketch & Photo] - 1
Coaching Staff (1950-1954); Photo courtesy of Joan Guzek
1953-54 Baseball Team; Photo courtesy of Joan Guzek
c. 1912 Basketball Team, Photo courtesy of Betty-Jane Bennett Smith
1937 Basketball Team; Photo courtesy of John Lastowka
1954 Varsity Basketball Team, Eastern State Champions; Photo courtesy of Dan McGinniss
1954 Cheerleaders; Photo courtesy of Joan Guzek
1953-54 Football Team; Photo courtesy of Joan Guzek
1980 Track Team; Photo courtesy of Craig "Fled" Rainey
Girls Track Team; Photo courtesy of Donna
Click here to visit Dave Burman's "unofficial site of the legendary Chester High School Boys Basketball Program".
|School History:||The original Chester High School was later
renamed the Starr School and was located
on the site currently occupied by the Chester Water Authority on the
Southeast corner of 5th & Welsh St.
The original gray stone building erected in 1901 (seen in the picture above), was destroyed by fire on January 9, 1968. The contractor for the building was William Provost, Jr.
An architecturally similar addition (still standing) was built in 1919, and the Vocational Building on 7th Street was opened in September 1941.
The Class of 1974 was the last class to graduate from the "old" Chester High School building.
[Pictures taken the day following the January 9, 1968 fire, courtesy of Gloria Evers, GME118@aol.com]
[Pictures of the "Old" Chester High School taken Fall 2001, courtesy of "Joker" Jack Chambers, Jokerjak908@yahoo.com]
[Picture of the "New" Chester High School taken Fall 2001, courtesy of "Joker" Jack Chambers, Jokerjak908@yahoo.com]
Student Strike c. 1937-38, lead by John Gilman
Many thanks to the following for supplying additional information for this page:
1 - Dan McGinniss
2 - Betsy Boyce Loth (CHS 1958)
3 - Jgodin13@aol.com
4 - RJesus4me@aol.com
5 - Pat Bartusik
6 - Dan McGinniss
7 - Bob Vaughan
8 - Donna Schier
If you have any information and or pictures that you would like to contribute about Chester High School, please forward it to email@example.com
© 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 John A. Bullock III.
This page last updated 09/08/10